About Hayes Amateur Boxing Club
Hayes ABC is affiliated to the Amateur Boxing Alliance of England.
The purpose of the Club is to provide facilities for and to promote participation in the amateur sport of boxing in Hayes and the surrounding area.
Hayes Amateur Boxing Club offers Training for three different ages groups, Nursery (8-11), Junior (11-16) and Senior (17+), we advise you see our page for more information.
History of Hayes Amateur Boxing Club
Hayes Amateur Boxing Club was formed in 1948. Trainer Dickie Gunn, Arthur Clements, Sidney Dawe, and J Wilkes started the club at Hayes's Townfield School. Interim locations included St Christopher's Approved School and Harlington Scout Hut. In 1978 the club was granted a piece of land by Hillingdon Council at the back of Judge Heath Lane Sports Centre. A concerted effort by club-trainers, boxers and committee-members produced for the club a purpose-built gym. The building of the club was led by Phil Edwards, Joe Moore, and Laurie Martell, to whom the club will always be grateful. In 2006 the land on which the gym was built was sold for development, and, following a campaign, a replacement facility was built to the front of the former Hayes Stadium. In April 2009, the club was opened by John Conteh Light Heavy Weight Champion of the World.
From its formation, the club has produced successful boxers at national competition level. Chris Finnegan represented the pinnacle of our club's success, winning the 1966 Amateur Boxing Association Middleweight title, before going on to win the Olympic Middleweight gold medal in 1968.
In the 2012 as part of the London Olympics celebrations a blue plaque was mounted above the club entrance dedicated to Chris Finnegan’s 1968 Gold Medal win.